- 6 oz (170 g) self-raising flour
- 6 oz (170 g) light muscovado sugar
- 5 fl oz (150 ml) rapeseed oil or sunflower oil
- 3 medium-sized eggs
- 3 medium carrots (about 5 oz/140 g)
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp cinamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Half a banana (mashed with a fork)
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice (optional)
For the filling:
- 4 oz icing sugar
- 2 oz butter or margarine
- zest of one orange
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange juice
Cooking equipment needed:
- 1 large bowl
- 1 Medium bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 2 x 7 inch sandwich tins
- Pre-heat your oven to 180° C/350°F/gas mark 4 or 160° C if you have a fan oven.
- Line the base of 2 x 7 inch sandwich tins with greaseproof paper. Grease the inner sides of the tins with margarine.
- Peel and coarsely grate the carrots
- Mix the oil and sugar together, before combining with the eggs.
- Mix in the grated carrot, mashed banana, orange zest and orange juice.
- Sift the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda into the wet mixture.
- Gently fold the mixture together.
- Divide between the two sandwich tins
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Remove tins from the oven. If the cakes are still making a hissing sound, leave in the tins for a few minutes to finish cooking through.
- Turn the cakes onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Transfer the butter or margarine to a medium sized bowl. If using butter, soften it by mashing it up with a fork. Mix in the orange zest and orange juice. Add the vanilla extract. Gradually sift in the icing sugar, stopping every so often to combine the mixture. Once everything has been combined, you can add more icing sugar if you require a thicker consistency, or more softened butter/margarine to make a thinner consistency.
- Spread the buttercream over one of the cakes. Sandwich the two cakes together. Lightly sift a teaspoon of icing sugar onto the top of the cake for decoration.