- 175 g (6 oz) Soft margarine
- 175 g (6 oz) Castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175 g (6 oz) Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180° C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Line the base of 2 x 7 inch sandwich tins with greaseproof paper. Grease the inner sides of the tins with margarine.
- Mix all the ingredients together and beat thoroughly (either by-hand in a large bowl or in a food processor).
- Divide the mixture between the two sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes (or 20 - 25 minutes in a fan oven).
- The cakes are cooked when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leaves the cakes to cool on a wire rack. Once cool, sandwich the two cakes together with your choice of filling.
- Avoid opening the oven whilst the cake is baking, or it might sink.
- If you want to use 8 inch sandwich tins, increase all the ingredients by one third – so 8 oz of margarine, flour and sugar, 4 eggs and a little extra baking powder.
- Tasty fillings include buttercream (vanilla, chocolate or lemon), jam (any flavour), whipped cream and chocolate spread.
- To make this cake into a lemon sponge cake, add the rind of 1 or 2 lemons to the cake mixture, along with a little juice, and bake as above. The lemon sponge cake tastes delicious with a lemon butter cream, made by combining icing sugar, butter/margarine, a little lemon juice and some lemon rind.