Ingredients (makes 8-10):
- 120 g Gram flour (also known as ground chickpea flour)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaf (or fresh coriander)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 small onions
- Pre-heat a deep fat fryer to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Sift the flour, tumeric, cumin, garam masala, curry powder and baking powder into a bowl. Add the coriander and salt.
- Finely slice the onions
- Gradually add cold water to the flour mixture until it becomes a thick batter, which is just about runny enough to drop off of a spoon.
- Add the finely sliced onions to the batter and mix well, until each piece of onion is fully coated.
- Carefully transfer spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil (depending on the size of bhaji you would like).
- Deep fry for about 4 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen paper, and serve hot! If you are making a few batches, the onion bhajis can be reheated in the oven before serving.