Shop-bought coleslaw is usually high in fat, even the ‘reduced fat’ versions. This healthier low-fat version tastes great and is quick and easy to make.
Ingredients (makes 6 portions)
- 1/2 large white cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots
- 0.5 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 5 tbsp low-fat natural yoghurt
- Mix the mayonnaise, yoghurt and Dijon mustard in a large bowl.
- Peel and grate the carrots. Finely slice the cabbage and onion. Transfer all the vegetables to the bowl containing the dressing.
- Mix well to combine everything.
- The dressing quantities may need to be adjusted a little to account for different sized vegetables. Taste the coleslaw and adjust as necessary.
- This coleslaw will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. However, the dressing will become thinner and less creamy the longer the coleslaw is kept.
- For a more colourful coleslaw, use red onion or red cabbage.
- Other ingredients such as cheese, raisins and pineapple can be added for variation.