Sushi rice and the associated dressings and nori are now widely available in most UK supermarkets (including Tesco, Sainsburys and Waitrose), so sushi-making is now accessible to all of us. Here we explain how to prepare sushi rice, ready for making sushi, or for eating as a side dish.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 250 g Sushi rice
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tsp Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Put the rice into a large bowl and add cold water. Run your hand through the rice to wash it. Then carefully tip the water away and repeat. Keep washing the rice until the water is almost clear, then drain it.
- Transfer the rice and 330 ml of water to a saucepan.
- Put the lid on the pan and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down, and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Then take the pan off of the heat, and leave it to stand for 15-20 minutes (do not remove the lid).
- During this time, you can prepare the sushi dressing. Combine the rice wine vinegar, mirin, castor sugar and salt in a cup or small bowl.
- Once the rice has been standing for 15-20 minutes, transfer it back to the bowl used to wash the rice (rinse first to clean).
- Pour the dressing over the rice, and combine with the rice using a spatula. Move the spatula through the rice in a chopping motion to separate the rice and ensure each grain is covered by the dressing. Once the rice has cooled it will be ready for using to make sushi.